Monday, November 8, 2010

power of 500 !!

I am reading "Maximum City" by Suketu Mehta. Taking note from one of his observation - for the past few weeks i have started to observe the power of 500 !!

Our lifestyle is such that 500 is the currency of usual expenditures - be it food, movies, clothes, diesel !! everything adds up in multiples of 500 !! !! i was amazed to realize that on monthly basis; i spend 4 multiples of 500 on diesel - wow !! It was a revelation - how 500 has become so inconsequential to my life .. i hardly think twice before i spend my next 500 INR note.

Just ONE multiple of this 500 goes every month to AKSH. All my friends have joined in with similar intent. All of us contribute ONE multiple of 500 every month. The cumulative result brightens life of one kid (today) ; many many more tomorrow. The change which AKSH will bring to these kids is sustainable and will benefit their next generation as well. All this with just contribution of 500 !!

Every time I observe the multiples of 500 that I am so used to spend now ; i realize how a very small portion of my regular expenses provides an excellent opportunity to bright kids - so that they can write their own script of achievements. A drop in the ocean. THINK.

3 comments:

Veenu said...

There is no doubt that value of a 500 Rs note has decreased in our life but it is still very valuable for some out there..
Very good initiative and I would like to be part of it..

Website architecture is nice, hope to see it fully functional soon

Amit Aneja said...

Varun,
A great post and needless to say, AKSH initiative had invoked a writer within you. I really appreciate your ability to think creatively and write in a self-motivating language. Thanks for this initiative Varun!

Amit

Parul Gupta said...

AKSH ....A helping hand..
It's name itself speaks it's meaning and motive ..

I am very happy to part of Askh.I feel very happy that young people like you notice all the happenings in the society.

The best thing of this sort that through AKSH my dreams come true to help a student .

I strongly believe in our Holy book GEETA "we are in this world to do some specific things other than our duties" and I feel we all should work to uplift the people, environment and society...